Party walls guide

If you live in a semi-detached or terrace house you share a wall (or walls) with your neighbour — that wall is known as a party wall.

Party walls usually separate buildings belonging to different owners, but could include garden walls built astride a boundary — known as party fence walls.

Where a wall separates two different size buildings, often only the part that is used by both properties is a party wall, the rest belongs to the person or persons on whose land it stands.

This guide tells you about party walls. It’s been written by us and offers help and advice to homeowners and landlords who are unsure of their rights and responsibilities.

Download the RICS consumer guide

Read the next page in this section