A chartered surveyor will be able to work out whether or not there is subsidence and what the likely cause is.

Subsidence consumer guide

You may also need specialist geological and drain surveys. Moving soil can sometimes crack drains or water mains.

If you spot any of the following problems and can not find a reason for them, get specialist help as soon as possible. If it is subsidence, the sooner it is diagnosed the better.

There could be movement in the ground beneath your home if you find:

  • New or expanding cracks in plasterwork
  • New or expanding cracks in outside brickwork
  • Doors or windows sticking for no particular reason
  • Rippling wallpaper that isn’t caused by damp

This guide will help you get the right advice.


Read the next page in this section

Find a member

Is your surveyor qualified? Search our member directory.

Search now

RICS Dilapidations Forum Annual Conference 2018

A one-stop shop for all your essential legal, technical and valuation guidance: 27 September, London

Visit website

Our video guides

  • Why use an RICS agent?>

  • Choosing the right survey>

  • The importance of getting a home survey>

Contact us

Find a surveyor


Find an RICS-regulated surveyor in your area