SKA rating helps organisations to make informed decisions about fit-out projects in the context of the growing importance of sustainability on the corporate agenda, and a burgeoning statute book.
SKA rating is designed to be of particular use for occupiers but has benefits for other property stakeholders, including landlords, developers, consultants, fit-out contractors, and members of the supply chain.
For occupiers and tenants
|Measure sustainability impact accurately
||First system, which measures 100% of the sustainability of your fit-out and decides what is most important. The rating is influenced entirely by what you choose to do, not by what has been done in the past.
|Manage the bottom line
||A decision-making tool which ranks the different aspects of a fit-out based on what will have the biggest impact on sustainability. It can be used to help the design team achieve maximum sustainability for a given budget.
|Follow good practice
||Help achieve a measure of sustainability for fit-outs.
||Help to ensure company directors, in line with Section 172 of the Companies Act 2006, to promote the success of the company and have a 'regard to the impact of the company's operations on the community and the environment'.
|Helps with the decision-making process
||Rates what is actually important and makes the biggest impact in terms of sustainability, adding another dimension beyond cost and quality to assess fit-out projects.
|Are you ISO 14001 accredited?
||A SKA certificate helps you ensure that a fit-out project is rated accurately and can be used to support your environmental management system.
|Customer, investor and stakeholder perception
||A SKA rating certificate demonstrates that your company takes sustainability seriously and has achieved a standard with your property. This can feature in annual reports, environmental policy or tender documentation, or be displayed in a building.
||Many employees increasingly place a value on a company's green credentials, and wish to work in high-quality spaces. A SKA rating can be used to reinforce staff morale and complements other CSR activity.
For developers and landlords
- Use SKA rating to set targets, use the formal assessment process to assure yourself that target performance standards are met, and finally use the certificate to report performance to stakeholders
- Benchmark the sustainability of fit-outs across a portfolio of buildings
- Include the use of the RICS SKA rating in 'Green Lease' provisions to help drive up the sustainability of properties or protect a building already certified under a whole building assessment method
- Sustainability increasingly makes good business sense. Research demonstrates an expected increase in the asset value of labelled low-carbon buildings compared with standard speculative buildings
- (see RICS research into US commercial offices Doing Well by Doing Good)
- Embed SKA rating in your standard processes to demonstrate that you follow a sustainable specification and procurement process for fit-outs
- Use the SKA rating tool and datasheets to support the delivery of professional advice to clients on good practice in sustainable fit-outs, and to assess their designs and projects
- Offer SKA rating certificated assessments to clients who wish to demonstrate they have achieved a more sustainable fit-out through the SKA rating accredited assessors scheme
- Use the assessment process and related guidance to make your design, specification, procurement and construction practices more environmentally sustainable
- Demonstrate your sustainability credentials to clients and consultants by making the targeting of standards under SKA rating part of your standard tender process
For further information
t +44 (0) 24 7686 8433
Read the next page in this section