07 Sep 2017
The BCIS Online featured project for September 2017, submitted by Selway Joyce Construction Cost Consultants, is the recently tendered £4.8 million conference and community centre in Chichester, West Sussex.
The client, The Aldingbourne Trust, is a charity which supports local businesses, communities, and people with learning and physical disabilities, through social enterprise and the contributions of local businesses.
The 1,692m2 three-storey centre is intended to provide daily support to 25 adults with disabilities, to develop the necessary skills to live life independently and find employment.
The centre will comprise:
- a large reception area with a tubular slide accessed via the first floor; a 154m2 shop, 50m2 accessible WCs and changing facilities, 25m2 meeting room, 18m2 office, and 25m2 plant room on the ground floor
- 88m2 double ceiling height conference room for 100 people, 88m2 kitchen, 204m2 café providing 180 covers, WCs and store rooms on the first floor; and
- 147m2 open plan Trust offices, 32m2 meeting rooms, WCs and store rooms on the third floor.
The building cost is £2,074/m2 (1Q2017), compared with the average of £2,118/m2 for the 101Nr community centre projects on the BCIS Online database.
BCIS benchmark: Community centres
Substructure, at £209/m2 includes:
- RC pile foundations and ground slab.
Superstructure, at £947/m2 includes:
- RC concrete walls, columns, beams and upper floors
- steel pitched roof with stained cedar timber shingle finish and rooflights
- PCC stairs and bamboo feature stairs
- timber shingle-clad external walls
- double glazed aluminium windows and doors
- metal stud partitions and glazed screens.
Finishes, at £169/m2 include:
- plasterboard, acoustic cladding, plastic cladding, emulsion and ceramic wall finishes
- carpet and vinyl sheet floor finishes
- mineral fibre suspended, timber acoustic baffle system, plasterboard and emulsion ceilings.
Fittings and furnishings, at £116/m2 include:
- cabinets, blinds, signage and shop fit-out.
Services, at £633/m2 include:
- rainwater harvesting
- ground source heat pump, LTHW heating, comfort cooling
- power and light including emergency lighting and photovoltaics
- data, access control, CCTV and alarms.
The £/m2 figures include preliminaries, at 12% of the remainder of the contract sum excluding contingences, apportioned by cost.
BCIS would like to thank Selway Joyce Construction Cost Consultants for providing the data and everyone who submits projects to be published online.
Submit a project
If you would like to talk to BCIS about submitting data, please contact Metin Mustafa on +44 (0)20 7695 1518 or email the BCIS Data Team.
Cost analyses are available as part of the BCIS Online service.
Only Registered Members and Registered site users can comment on our content.
Please use the log in button to sign in and leave your comment.