On 1 May 2018, the RICS Property Measurement Professional Statement 2nd Edition becomes mandatory for all our professionals and regulated firms.
The aim of this standard is to ensure professionalism by RICS professionals when undertaking property measurements, as well as to ensure professionals are in step with evolving global trends.
The mandatory requirements for this standard will focus on:
- Purpose of the measurement instruction
- Date of the measurement instruction
- Date of measurement
- Measurement standard adopted
- If IPMS is not used, document the reasons why
- Measurement methodology adopted (e.g. laser measurer or tape measure)
- Scale of any plans used
- Floor area schedule with relevant areas cross referenced to floorplans
- Unit of measurement and conversion factor, if applicable (e.g. square feet to square metres) and name of the RICS member and/or RICS regulated Firm responsible for the instruction.
This means that RICS regulation would review the compliance of members and regulated firms with this standard in case of a complaint or other concern being raised. In such cases, a member or regulated firm might be asked to provide evidence of compliance with the standard.
The update to RICS Property Measurement 2nd Edition, follows the release of International Property Measurement Standards (IPMS): Residential Buildings, the second in a series of measurement standards developed by a global coalition of professional bodies.
Read the next page in this section