Ten firms that utilise BIM technology to create smarter, more creative buildings were recognised at the 2017 RICS BIM4SME Awards, where Willmott Dixon Interiors won the esteemed ‘Best Overall BIM Project’ for their work on 39 Victoria Street in Westminster, London.
The annual RICS BIM4SME Awards recognise the small to medium sized firms (SMEs) at the forefront of delivering successful BIM (Building Information Modelling) projects and initiatives, whilst promoting best practice and the importance of SMEs to the adoption of BIM.
Wilmott Dixon Interior’s work on 39 Victoria Street — a Category B fit-out of an 11-storey building — involved using BIM to design and deliver an attractive, yet highly cost effective and sustainable building for the Department of Health, comprising modern offices, meeting rooms and restaurant, at a cost of just under £11.5 million.
One of the advantages of applying BIM on this project was the production of virtual reality and animations, which supported the client in gaining a better understanding of the project, and ensured that fundamental items to help create a highly productive working environment weren’t missed. The client was then able to make any amendments to areas and elements of the design to better suit their needs.
- Best use of BIM for Construction Sequencing – Sisk Lagan Construction Group JV for constructing the A19/A1058 Coast Road junction improvement at North Tyneside.
- Best use of BIM for use of Embedded Data - CoBuilder UK for their work on the National College for High Speed Rail project, tackling the challenge of collecting, validating and delivering product data on this project
- Best use of BIM for Health & Safety - Freeform 3D for their work on 22 Bishopsgate, London – a commercial skyscraper with 62 storeys and standing at over 270m tall.
- Best use of BIM for Costings and Material Take-off - Alinea Consulting for designing and delivering a high profile retail development, which involved the significant extension of an existing shopping centre.
- Best Embedment of BIM into Contracts - BIM Direct for developing a web based solution to streamline the process of authoring and distributing an EIR, (Employer’s Information Requirements).
- Best Virtual Reality BIM - The McAvoy Group for designing and delivering Westhill School in Ashtead, Leatherhead, which involved connecting two separate buildings on-site and incorporating modern teacher training areas, a food technology room and a vibrant library.
- Best use of BIM for Sustainability - David Miller Architects for the conservation and refurbishment of a group of historic barns – known as the Anstey Hall Barns - to provide eight luxury conversions and a further four new homes on the site in Cambridge.
- Best use of BIM to enhance Model Coordination - HLM Architects for their work on the headquarters of Cambridge Assesment dubbed 'The Triangle Project'. The office space will accommodate up to 3,000 employees by 2025 and will be sympathetic to the neighbouring conservation area.
- Best BIM project for Subcontractor Engagement - CPMG Architects for designing and delivering The Discovery Building, a state-of-the-art science facility in Nottingham, dedicated to cutting-edge research and supporting more than 300 specialist bioscience jobs.
BIM offers significant benefits for a construction project, not to mention the client or project owner as it enables a project to be delivered faster, and to be of higher quality and have a more sustainable performance and more efficient operation.
Therefore, more and more firms are adopting BIM for these reasons, and our winners are testament to those leading the way in utilising it to deliver better, more innovative and cost effective built initiatives. I hope they inspire other firms of the importance and benefits of BIM in revolutionising the construction process.
The 2017 RICS BIM4SME Awards took place for the first time at the iconic HMS Belfast in London on 12 September, with guests from the architectural, engineering, construction and operations industries.
Read the next page in this section