2017 Conference Programme
08:30 Registration and refreshments
09:30 Chair’s opening comments
Neil Anderson, Lead Manager Planning and Performance, Location and Property Strategy, RBS
09:40 Ministerial address
Derek Mackay, MSP Cabinet Secretary for Finance and the Constitution
10:15 Commercial property asset trends
- Overview of current market conditions
- Demands, stock and rental expectations
- Latest occupier demands
Grant Lonsdale, Real Estate Analyst, CoStar Group UK
10:45 Networking refreshment break
11:15 Emerging asset classes: where to invest next
- Are alternatives becoming the norm?
- Established “alternative” areas, such as student accommodation and senior & assisted living residences
- Emerging alternatives - infrastructure and the private rented sector
Nigel Chapman, Fund Manager, Standard Life Investments
12:00 Panel – Attracting investment to Scottish cities
- What must Scotland do to attract city investment?
- City deals: where and when
- The rise of start-ups and technology firms
Chair - Stephen Bibby, Partner, Cushman and Wakefield
Toby Withall, Partner, Knight Frank
Sarah Stewart, Investment Banking Professional, Cushman and Wakefield
Nick White, Director, CuthbertWhite
12:30 Networking lunch
13:30 – 16:30 Break-out session 1: Delegates choose between two parallel break-out sessions
Breakout 1A: Future of commercial property
13:30 Impact of technology, data and digital disruption on work spaces and real estate
- How technology is defining the way we work?
- Impact on corporate real estate
- Impact on facilities management
Andrew Waller, Partner, Remit Consulting LLP
Panel debate – Workplace: retaining talent through agile working & wellbeing
The Workplace and how a Facilities Management approach will directly influence:
How the future of office space will be influenced by:
- Population Growth
- Impact of Technology and the 'Internet of Things’
- Recognise the barriers to agile working and overcoming them
- Discover what is effective co-working
Chair - Tony Kopsch, Head of Facilities, University of Stirling
Claire Carpenter, Director, The Melting Pot
Greig Scott, Director of Global CRE, Teradata Corporation
Jourdan McCombe, Portfolio Strategy Manager, RBS
Stan Mitchell, CEO, Key Facilities Management International
15:00 Networking refreshment break
15:15 Attracting future talent to the profession
- How to recruit young talent?
- Steps and initiatives companies can put in place
- Alternative Routes to Membership/ApprenticeshipsFM specifically – attracting towards FM look at both
- Apprenticeships: getting early buy in from students and firms
- What are the RICS doing?
Alison Andrews, Lecturer Real Estate Valuation & Investment, Edinburgh Napier University
15:45 Planning Bill – Future of planning in Scotland
- How do we ensure the public is more engaged?
- How can planning be resourced better
- Third party right to appeal
- Review of Section 75
John McNairney, Chief Planner, Scottish Government
16:15 How large infrastructure projects can enhance your organisation
- How infrastructure projects are improving the local economy and enhancing communities
- The role of Chartered Surveyors in these projects
- Case studies showing how infrastructure projects are helping to drive change
Donald Meldrum, Business Engagement Partner, Network Rail
Breakout 1B: Rating
13:30 Keynote Rates Revaluation
- Unpick what is changing
- How the rating revlauation will impact on small businesses e.g. shops and trades
- How the changes can be mitigated through transitional relief
- What are the major implications from the revaluation
Tom Davidson, Director, Business Rates, GVA
14:00 Ratings appeal in the Supreme Court
Geoff Clarke QC, Compass Chambers
14:30 Business rates impact on small businesses
How the revaluation will impact on small businesses e.g. shops and trades
Stuart Mackinnon, External Affairs Manager – Scotland, Federation of Small Businesses
14:50 The Lands Tribunal for Scotland
What is the function, purpose, scope of the LTS?
Ralph Smith QC, Legal Member, Lands Tribunal for Scotland
15:15 Networking refreshment break
15:30 Case law update
- Update on the law
- Overview of what’s changing
Alistair Drummond, Partner, DLA Piper
16:00 Valuation of Hospitality properties
- What is being proposed for hospitality sector?
- How will hotels, pubs be impacted by revaluation?
Douglas Lambie, Associate, Ryden
16:40 Future of rating
- How does Scotland compare with the rest of the UK?
- What will be the impact on commercial property transactions?
- How will this impact the future development pipeline?
David Melhuish, Director, Scottish Property Federation
17:00 Chair’s closing remarks