Our RICS Residential Property Conference 2016 comes at the perfect time. Attend and join the conversation on how to tackle and solve the biggest issues facing the industry including:
- Is there such a thing as affordable housing?
- Will online services alter the face of traditional high street agencies?
- London vs the regions: where are investors and occupiers heading?
- Can PRS fill the gap created in the wake of a shrinking supply of social housing?
The event will be a mixture of high-level strategic debate mixed with practical technical sessions that will improve your day-to-day practice. Our dedicated technical breakout for survey, valuation and agency will provide best practice examples to improve and enhance your practice.
This is the must attend event for everyone who wants to be at the forefront of the residential sector.
View highlights from the 2015 conference:
|RICS Members Standard Rate
||£155 + vat
|Non Members Rate
||£209 + vat
show full programme
08:30 Registration and refreshments
09:15 Chair’s opening comments
09:20 Economic update
- Outlook for the residential property market
- RICS Residential Property Market Survey
- Key macro risks
Simon Rubinsohn, RICS
09:50 Housing Bill 2015/16
- Latest updates and key developments
- The policy changes you need to know
10:15 Panel debate – the changing residential market
- The market implications and opportunities
- The impact of the Housing Bill 2015/16
- How the UK’s economic growth will impact the housing market
- Result of the Brexit vote: the implications of the vote
- Changes in buy-to-let
Jeremy Blackburn, RICS
11:00 Networking refreshment break
11:30 – 13:00 Break-out session 1: Delegates choose between two parallel break-out sessions
Breakout 1A: Agency
11:30 Legal roundup
- Landlord and tenant legal update
- What is happening in the agency world
- Latest case law changes and their impact
11:50 Tactics for business growth - How to recruit and retain skilled staff - Top tips: small changes that will make a big impact to your business
12:15 Panel Debate - Estate agencies: what does the future hold?
- The impact online services will have on traditional high street agencies
- What steps you must take to future-proof your business
- The rise of hybrid business model
Joanna Upton, Property Director, Allsop Letting and Management
Breakout 1B: Surveys
11:30 Panel - The changing survey and valuation landscape
- Latest updates on the Home Buyer Report
- Business development – find a surveyor
- RICS meets the lenders – what survey and valuation looks like going forward
- Key issues – AVM, fees, the rise of surveys
12:15 Ombudsman update
- Most common complaints in relation to the “Home Buyer Report”
- What positive steps can surveyors take to prevent a claim?
- Ways to effectively establish client’s expectations before your conduct a survey
- How to handle complaints effectively
John Baguley, Ombudsman
12:40 Latest technology surveyors must know
- What are the key technologies that will enhance your business
- Practical guidance on the use of drones and thermal imaging
13:00 Networking lunch
14:00-15:30 Break-out session 2: Delegates choose between two parallel break-out sessions
Breakout 2A: Valuation
14:00 Valuations of diminishing leases
- Valuation process required by legislation
- The basic principles of lease extension
- Principles, methods and examples for valuation
14:30 - Valuation of properties with energy efficiency improvements
- Identifying solar PV, solar thermal or air-source heat pumps
- Impact of energy efficiency improvements on valuations
- SDLT/ EPC debate
15:00 Latest RICS guidance on valuation
- Valuation of new build /starter homes
- Valuation of HMO’s and Buy to Let
- Valuation of Starter Homes
Breakout 2B: Supply and demand
14:00 Geography and demography
- London vs the regions
- Potential impact of devolution
- Where are investors heading?
- What do occupiers really want?
- Housing and aging population
14:45 Housing Supply
- Demand vs supply
- Site availability, planning and infrastructure
- Construction capacity, skills shortages & modular homes
- Will the Housing Zone model work ?
- Achieving churn
- Flexible tenure
- HA Right to Buy and building capacity
1530 Networking refreshment break
15:45 International Ethics and IPMS for Residential Buildings
- An overview of the new standards
- How IPMS can benefit every surveyor and their client: tangible examples
- How do I measure and report now?
16:10 Ethics in practice
- Case studies and scenarios for solving ethical dilemmas
- Anti-money laundering
- Conflict of interest
- Discrimination in letting
- Interactive session
16:45 Is there such a thing as affordable housing?
- How to house generation rent?
- Can PRS fill the gap created in the wake of shrinking supply of social housing?
- Build-to-Rent: a glamorous sideshow or a serious contender?
- Starter Home
Andrew Bulmer (Chair)
17:15 Chair’s closing remarks