Delivered over a 6 months programme, this course teaches the practices of building surveying in a topic approach. Each individual module teaches a competency required by the profession and using a blended style of online study, delegates will gain a thorough grounding of the required skills.
Each module is composed of the following to support and enhance the learners needs in gaining the required level of knowledge throughout the course programme.
- Online Technical E-Learning
- Reading Material
- Case Studies
- Online forum
Online Technical E-Learning
The online technical e-learning courses provide you with a detailed overview of the principles and methodologies covered within each unit. Created by highly experienced trainers
Case Studies and Practical Exerices
Technical case studies provide you with examples of practice, within these case studies you will be able to test the training against the theory taught within the unit. Answers and your examples can be shared within the online forums.
Further your study and understanding of the units and methodologies with the unit reading material. Sourced from text books and articles, these readings support your development throughout the course programme.
Each module has a dedicated forum to provide you with constant access to your tutor and a shared learning area with fellow delegates. Creating a dedicated learning environment you will be able to partake in topic discussion and share you learning with lots of other people from all over the world.
Module 1 – Construction technology and environmental services
- The stages of design and construction from inception to completion
- The process of construction and alteration
- Building works and how they relate into different property structures
- The impact different regulations and standards have on building surveying
Module 2 - Design and specification
- Review the various stages of the design process
- The functional requirements and performance of building materials and components
- The requirements of a client’s brief, in order to satisfy their requirements
- Prepare designs and specifications, including at outline and detail levels
Module 3 - Inspection
- The requirements of the differing types of inspections
- Methods of completing property inspections
- Apply different techniques of inspection for different properties
- Apply the information gained to prepare reports for the purpose of an inspection
Module 4 – Building Pathology
- Identify in detail cause and mechanics of varying types of failure
- Building defects likely to be encountered in typical building surveying activities
- Review the causes of failure, and the likely results of failure, together with recommendations of appropriate remedial measures
Module 5 - Contract administration
- Implement administrative procedures necessary for the smooth running of a construction contract
- The roles and responsibilities of the contract administrator
- The requirments to creating a building contract
Module 6 - Legal/regulatory compliance
- Comply with legal/regulatory requirements for surveying
- Health and Safety in relation to building surveying regulations and guidance
- Statutory control of Building Works, including Building and Planning Acts within the country of practice
- Evaluate the different stages of design and construction from inception to completion
- Determine the appropriate processes of construction and alteration
- Identify building works and how they relate into different property structures
- Establish the appropriate various stages of the design process
- Recognise the functional requirements and performance of building materials and components
- Analyses the requirements of a client’s brief, in order to satisfy their requirements
- Recognise the requirements supporting different types of property inspections
- Review the different methods of completing property inspections
- Establish various techniques of carrying out inspections
- Identify building defects likely to be encountered in typical building surveying.
You will be assessed through an online examination hosted by the RICS Online Academy. The online examination will take place at the end of the 6 month course and you will need to acquire the requisite minimum score to successfully complete the course.
Upon successful completion of the course delegates would have completed 200 CPD hours study over the 6 month period. Delegates will also receive a certificate of course completion confirming you have successfully attended and passed the RICS Certificate in Building Surveying.