Module One: Introduction to Mediation and Mediation Advocacy
Suitable as a stand-alone course for those interested in entering the growing market for qualified mediation representatives, this introductory module provides the essential baseline skills to enable delegates to develop and expand their proficiency as a party representative.
Three full days’ training will provide you with a detailed introduction to facilitative and evaluative mediation.
There is no formal assessment for this module, but 100% attendance is required.
Day one – Mediation in context, an overview and mediation ground rules
- Opening sessions
Day two - Exploration
- Verbal and non-verbal techniques
- Extracting a comprehensive narrative
- Engaging with parties
Day three - Negotiation
- Applying your knowledge and experience in evaluative mediation
- Exploring options and expert analysis
- Robust reality testing of strengths and weaknesses
- Working towards a settlement
- Techniques in breaking deadlock
- Mediation advocacy
Module Two: Practical Mediation skills and ACRE™ Mediation Training
Module Two is for those seeking qualification as an RICS Accredited Mediator. This intensive two-day training programme builds upon the skills acquired on Module One to develop your practical skills as a mediator.
This module is intensely hands-on with coaching and feedback throughout the role play exercises. Delegates participate in role play scenarios based on real life cases, acting as mediator and party with instructor and peer feedback.
Day four - Consolidation
- Extended practical training
- Consolidation of skills learned in Module One
- Running a mediation alone.
Day five - Advanced skills and assessment
- Advanced mediation skills
- Time limited mediation
- Video assessment.
Module two assessment:
- Developmental assessment: Assessment takes place throughout the module, with detailed and constructive feedback from the instructors
- Video assessment: Delegates act as mediator in a one-hour videoed case study role play scenario
- Written assessment: 1,500 word essay or written role play scenario submitted after course completion.
Module Three: ACRE™ Evaluative Mediation Training
This Module is available once you have successfully completed Modules 1 and 2. Module 3 will develop your technique as an evaluative mediator, building on the skills in traditional facilitative mediation and the knowledge of evaluative mediation you have gained in Modules 1 and 2.
You will be trained to act as an evaluative mediator, and will be guided through a variety of practical situations. You will learn how to deal with mediations that start off facilitative and become evaluative, and other such scenarios including how to act when you are asked by parties to:
- Advise on the merits of various options for settlement which emerge during the negotiation
- Advise on the risks associated with taking the matter to court or arbitration
- Provide an evaluation based on admissible evidence as to the prospects of success in court or arbitration
- Give a wider recommendation based on your own expertise and experience as well as commercial and legal grounds
Module three assessment:
Developmental assessment: Assessment takes place throughout the module, with detailed and constructive feedback from the instructors.
What will I receive at the end of modules 1, 2 & 3?
On completion of Module One, you will be awarded the RICS Introduction to Mediation and Mediation Advocacy Certificate.
Successful completion of Modules One and Two (and assessments) you will be professionally accredited by RICS and will be awarded RICS Accredited Mediator Certificate ACRETM and candidates will be entitled to have their name listed on the RICS Register of Accredited Mediators. You can also apply to join the RICS Global President's Panel of Accredited Dispute Resolvers as a Panel Mediator and possibly be nominated for appointments. Completion of modules One and Two is also recognised by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) and successful candidates can apply to be a member of CIArb.
On completion of Module Three you will be awarded the RICS ACRETM Accredited Evaluative Mediator Certificate and will be able to apply to be linked as such to the Global President's Panel of Accredited Dispute Resolvers.
All RICS Dispute Resolution accredited programmes signal the quality and expertise of those who successfully complete our training and qualifications.