BCIS has recently published its 20,000th project cost analysis online. The project is a recently completed £16.3m 250 bed hotel in the West Midlands, submitted by Baker Hollingworth.
The 9,505m2 18 storey hotel comprises 130Nr double bedrooms, 106Nr twin bedrooms and 14Nr accessible bedrooms; a restaurant; meeting rooms; gym, and retail units; equating to a functional unit cost of £62,941 per bedroom.
The building cost is £1,655/m2 (2Q2015), compared with the average of £1,718/m2 for hotel projects on the BCIS Online database as the BCIS Benchmark Report illustrates below.
Hotels BCIS building benchmark
The £/m2 figures include preliminaries, at 21% of the remainder of the contract sum excluding contingences, apportioned by cost.
Substructure, at £98/m2 includes:
- RC pile foundations and ground slab.
Superstructure, at £833/m2 includes:
- steel frame to ground and first floor and floors 3–18 in precast crosswall construction
- aluminium glazed curtain walling
- automatic revolving entrance door; and
- PCC and metal stud internal walls and partitions.
Finishes, at £92/m2 include:
- plasterboard, emulsion and ceramic wall finishes
- carpet and ceramic tiled floor finishes; and
- suspended ceilings.
Fittings and furnishings, at £34/m2 include:
- beds, cabinets and signage.
Services, at £598/m2 include:
- bathroom pods
- Mitsubishi Hybrid VRF air conditioning system
- electric power and light including emergency lighting
- 3Nr lifts
- Sprinklers; and
- fire alarm, CCTV and access control.
BCIS would like to thank Baker Hollingworth and all our subscribers who have submitted project cost analyses for publication.
If you would like to talk to BCIS about submitting data, please contact Metin Mustafa on +44 (0)20 7695 1518 or email the BCIS data team
Read the next page in this section