BCIS Running Costs Online is an estimating expenditure tool which helps facilities managers and surveyors who specialise in facilities management, maintenance and operating costs.
With new working methods in the construction industry such as BIM (Building Information Modelling), it is important to know what a building’s life cycle cost is.
We are a specialist life cycle costing consultancy, annually working on projects with a construction value of over £1 billion. We provide BREEAM Life Cycle Cost and Service Life Planning appraisals. BCIS Running Costs Online is an excellent tool to help us create life cycle cost forecasts, carry out benchmarking and demonstrate how the design team can identify solutions that minimise life cycle costs and maximise critical value for a scheme.
We are a large contractor providing strategic provider of FM Services. We needed an annual paint cost to paint our hospitals. Our quoted price was £2.10m2. We used the BCIS 2014 Rates to benchmark and compare our quotes. We actually then bought our annual paint cost for £2m2, this saved our clients 5%.
We are a large public sector firm managing c130 sites and 220 buildings. When looking to downsize our estate I used the BCIS Building Running Costs Database to compare the running costs of one of our existing buildings with newer building alternatives to establish the viability to downsize and move into the alternative property. BCIS Running Costs Database is a valuable tool in assisting us to compare different buildings to help reduce our ongoing revenue costs.
It can help:
- produce lifecycle costings, benchmarking, planning, budgeting, forecasting, estimating, and cost control.
- compare component costs and how they will last over time, so that decisions can be made at the beginning of a project.
- give you reassurance, as you are using BCIS data that you can be more confident in profit levels.
BCIS Running Cost Online features:
- The information is split into building maintenance, decorations, fabric and operations, cleaning, utilities and administration costs, helping you with your building refurbishment and running costs.
- You can choose from a wide range of building functions within the cost database allowing you to use the data in a flexible way to suit your individual project needs.
- You can find our component life costs. Figures for the life expectancy of over 300 common building components - substructure, superstructure, finishes, fittings and furnishings, and external works.
- You can compare the running costs of different building types, from a range of anything from one to 60 years. A typical spend profile will be produced showing the estimated expenditure for each year of the selected period.
- Information is also given on the factors that affect the deterioration or failure of the components. The figures are based on the experience of building surveyors.
- Gives you the ability to save cost assessments on the system or send to the client.
- You can also enter the buildings value so that you can calculate the whole life cycle cost of a building.
What our Customers Say
“Very useful in providing client with time basis to estimate project duration.”
Gavin Brown, PM, Telereal Trillium
"VINCI Facilities has been using the BCIS Building Running Costs online tool for many years. The cost indices and rates provide a valuable resource for all manner of projects. Recently, VINCI has developed a software tool for our FM clients that link their asset inventory directly into the BCIS 2014 rates allowing an accurate forecast of life cycle costs over any number of years. The rates are also used to benchmark our supply chain costs and assist in driving and then providing best value. For example, the BCIS rate for a particular specification of decorating is £2.10/m²; using this to drive value, we procured it at £2.10/m² and we could pass that saving directly to our client.”
An annual subscription to BCIS Building Running Costs Online, includes:
- Maintenance Cost and Price Indices
- Energy Cost and Retail Prices Indices
- Interactive Life Cycle Costs Module
- Life Expectancy of Building Components
- Average Refurbishment Costs (£/m2)
- Online access to pricing database
- Two Occupancy Cost Plans - these publications look at specific buildings and through the preparation and pricing of a maintenance schedule produce a 20 year expenditure plan
- Economic Significance of Maintenance
- Wage and Dayworks Rates
- Construction Orders and Output Data
Our customers include:
Additional information about the service:
- A selection of the most common Wage Agreements and Dayworks Rates will be regularly updated and available online. Historical data back to 1987 is also available and will show the changes in labour costs over the last 20 years.
Average prices for Rehabilitation
- A total of 2700 projects have been extracted from the BCIS database that include various levels of refurbishment. The average costs of refurbishment and rehabilitation can be searched by building type, and the 'calculator' will show the mean, median, and range of costs.
Building running costs online service includes the Maintenance cost indices. Alternatively you can buy them individually.
Select the right package for you and buy online
- The price is based on the number of people you have in your organisation, not the number of users
- The member rate will be applied, once you have logged in as a member
What to expect after you have paid online:
- You will be sent a email confirming your order
- Once the order is processed, you will receive a unique activation code via email (usually takes 2 working days), with links to access the product
For a free demonstration click here, or Buy Online now. If you would like to speak to someone about your requirements, please phone +44(0)24 7686 8433.
Read the next page in this section