Migrating to Australia or New Zealand

We receive many information requests from members either moving to, or thinking of moving to, Australia or New Zealand. While we can't tell you whether you'll get a job or who is recruiting, we can give you an overview of what you might need to get work; such as licensing requirement, registration and how your designation may be accepted in Oceania.

Beyond the other major issues when moving to another country; will I get a job? How do I arrange visas? What sort of visa do I need?  Where will I live? There are also some other questiosn as a member of RICS that you will have; will my qualification be recognsied? How different is the market?

We are currently buidling up our pages of information in the meantime RICS Oceania staff are here to help you if you have any questions, please contact us.

The term 'Surveyor'

In Australia and New Zealand the term 'Surveyor' is not used in a property context.  Professionals in property are generally known by the type of work that they do - valuer, agent, manager, developer, asset manager, funds manager, facility manager etc.  There is less of a notion of a general practitioner in the region as well.

Quantity Surveyors and Land Surveyors use the surveying label as do Building Control Surveyors (known in Australia as Building Surveyors, please read our section Building Surveyors and Building Control Surveyors for more information) When dealing with the relevant departments dealing with immigration in the region and otehr government agencies it is important to keep this in mind.

Read the next page in this section