The Certificate in Quantity Surveying course has been designed to provide you with advanced knowledge and understanding of quantity surveying techniques and practice including dispute resolution, project management and value and risk management.
Delegates who successfully complete the course will have gained the knowledge and understanding to allow them to:
- Evaluate alternative elemental options and sustainability
- Describe construction technology and environmental services for domestic buildings and more complex buildings
- Compare procurement and tendering procedures, produce tender documentation and undertake partnering and collaborative systems
- Assess design factors that influence the elemental costs of buildings
- Implement pre and post cost planning, control of the building process, and whole life cycle costing (with building information modelling)
- Undertake the measurement of building works and tender documentation and evaluation of construction costs
- Compare current alternative forms of quantification
- Compare standard forms of contract and contractual procedures for payments, final agreements and administrative issues
- Implement cash flow procedures, financial control of construction costs and create financial statements
This course enables you to have an advanced understanding of the fundamental activities which comprise quantity surveying and it will also take you through a logical sequence of thinking about quantity surveying. The learning activities draw on both the hypothetical situations commonly found in quantity surveying and from one's personal experience within the workplace.
Who is the course for?
This distance learning programme is suitable for quantity surveying professionals who have at least a foundation or intermediate understanding of the quantity surveying competency required within the industry.
Although development and planning is a skill applied by chartered surveyors across a wide variety of assets, this distance learning programme is aimed at individuals who work in quantity surveying, commercial property development, commercial property valuation and as developers, property asset managers and investment managers.
I most enjoyed the part of Contract administration due to the detailed approach to a wide range of contract issues according to the different standard forms of contract.
From the trainer
From my experience this course will provide an excellent basis for developing QS knowledge and competences through practice. It has been wonderful to see how learners with little QS skills develop their confidence as the course progresses. The case studies submitted as part of the course are, in some instances, exceptional.
Looking for a Foundation course?
See Quantity Surveying: Foundation
show full programme
This course will provide a clear understanding of:
- The strategic and administrative procedures involved in the procurement of construction work - from the viewpoints of both client and contractor
- The principal skills required by surveyors working in the construction industry
- The relationship between time, cost and quality in the construction procurement process and the alternative procurement routes available
- Management and administration of construction contracts
- How to identify and explain the role of the various participants in your own domestic construction industry
- Options available for the procurement of construction work
- Controlling time, cost and quality on a construction project
- Measurement and estimating
- Contract administration - the legal basis for controlling construction projects.
The cost of this material is £895 + VAT (Members)
The cost of this material is £995 + VAT (Non-Members)
Enrolment commences from the time of payment.
You will be asked to complete payment in order to enrol onto this course. Enrolment is activated through completing the payment process. Upon payment, you will be able to access the content for the enrolment period through clicking on the location link.
The start date and access for the course is subject to change depending on number of attendees for this course and at the discretion of RICS.
Approximate duration of course: 200 hours over 6 months
Assessment: Online Exam (Interview may be required)
Price Excl. VAT
£895.00 for RICS members
£1,075.00 for non-members