The work of surveyors in this area covers all types of real estate used for business purposes. The principal sectors within commercial real estate are retail, office, industrial and leisure.
Commercial real estate serves a vast array of purposes supporting public and private sector business and services, such as government, service industries, education, healthcare, manufacturing, telecommunications and other civil infrastructure. The exception is real estate related to agricultural or residential use.
The Commercial Real Estate is a broad-based pathway. It is ideal for anyone pursuing a career in commercial real estate services in either the private or public sector. The majority of candidates are therefore likely to gain experience in a number of the key areas summarised below:
- Purchase, sale and leasing of real estate: acting as an agent, broker or auctioneer in the purchase, sale and leasing of commercial real estate.
- Management: managing all real estate resources – including both the human and financial implications of real estate – ranging from day-to-day management to integrated asset management.
- Landlord and tenant: this includes rent reviews, lease renewals and preparing submissions for dispute resolution.
- Telecommunications: all real estate issues relating to developing telecommunications networks infrastructure.
- Valuation*: commercial real estate surveyors must have knowledge of valuation.
- Investment*: advice on investment appraisal, performance measurement and analysis and portfolio management.
- Planning and development*: advising developers, funders, occupiers and the public sector on potential demand, rental levels and valuation.
- Real estate finance and funding*: for the ownership or development of real estate, including applying and appraising different finance and funding structures.
The pathway guide should be used in conjunction with the core assessment documentation which is available on the RICS website and comprises of:
- Requirements and Competencies guide
- Candidate guide for your RICS assessment e.g. APC, Academic, Senior Professional, Specialist
- Counsellor guide.
RICS also offers a Commercial and a Real Estate Agency pathway as part of the Associate Assessment. For further details please go to rics.org/associate or download the Associate documents on this page.
Read the next page in this section